HIGHER EDUCATION AND ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor of Science Degree (Honours) : Mechanical Engineering,
Strathclyde University, Glasgow (1977)
- Diploma (Merit) : Marine Surveying, Accreditation in Small Craft
International Institute of Marine Surveying & National Sea Training Centre (2003)
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL INSTITUTIONS
- Chartered Engineer : Engineering Council CEng (1983), CMarEng (2006)
- Fellow : Institution of Engineers and Shipbuilders in Scotland (1987) FIES
- Member : Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology (1983) MIMarEST
- Member : Institution of Mechanical Engineers (1983) MIMechE
- Member : International Institute of Marine Surveying (2004) MIIMS
- Member : Seafish Marine Services (2010 – 2018)
- Member : International Register of Marine Surveyors (2013) RMS
- Member : Society of Consulting Marine Engineers and Ship Surveyors (2021) MSCMS
- Professional Diver: HSE Part 3 , Dorset Commercial Diving Centre, Poole, Dorset (1990)
- Professional Skipper: RYA Yachtmaster Offshore, Motor, Commercial (2011)
- Ship’s Superintendent: Superintendent for two dry cargo ships (2011 – 2013)
- IMCA eCMID AVI: Accredited for General Vessels and MISW (2018 – 2019)
2017 to date: Pegasus Marine Surveys Ltd
- Surveying and Engineering Director: Providing marine surveying, consultancy and design services across industry in Scotland, UK, Europe and Scandinavia. Authorised by the IIMS and SCMS Certifying Authorities to carry out MCA Codes of Practice Examinations for Small Commercial Vessels including Complex Workboats, Stability Tests, and Tonnage Surveys. Authorised SCMS Fishing Vessel Examiner for Commercial Fishing Vessel Registration and Inspection Examinations on behalf of the MCA. Marine Warranty Surveyor, and Expert Witness.
1988 – 2017 : Pegasus Diving and Marine Services, Pegasus Marine Surveys & Pegasus Engineering Services
- Diving and Marine Services Contractor : Owning and running Pegasus Diving and Marine Services – supporting fish farm, mussel farm, ferry and boat building companies, with diving support boat “Pegasus”, and professional diving teams. Marine services for boat owners, including hull cleaning and inspection, propeller clearing, underwater damage surveys, temporary underwater repairs. Also, mooring surveys, design, installation, service and maintenance . Salvage and towing of vessels and other marine installations. Boat building and repair work undertaken on GRP, wooden and steel vessels and other installations.
- Marine Surveyor : Owning and running Pegasus Marine Surveys – Professional surveying of yachts and small craft, commercial fishing vessels, charter boats, work boats and fish farms. Condition Surveys, Damage Surveys, Valuations and Investigations carried out on behalf of the client, bank or insurers. Authorised by the IIMS Certifying Authority to carry out MCA Codes of Practice Examinations for Small Commercial Vessels including Complex Workboats, and Tonnage Surveys. MCA Approved Vessel Inspector for Commercial Fishing Vessel Registration and Inspection Examinations carried out directly under the authorisation of the MCA. Ship’s Superintendent for two dry cargo ships owned by Great Glen Shipping Co., involving ship repair and maintenance in dry dock, Lloyd’s Register Classification and MCA, ISM and ISPS.
- Mechanical and Marine Engineer: Owning and running Pegasus Engineering Services – Professional design, stress analysis (including Finite Element Stress Analysis), investigation and troubleshooting of land based and marine installations, systems and machinery. Designs, analyses and reports incorporating production of AutoCad drawings.
PREVIOUS EMPLOYMENT RECORD
1980 – 1988 : Lloyd’s Register of Shipping, London
- Marine Surveyor and Technical Investigation Surveyor: Worked in the Machinery Design and Plan Approval Department, including specialising in Finite Element Stress Analysis, and worked in the Technical Investigation Department, including troubleshooting vessel machinery and structures in shipyards and on board a wide range of ships at various locations around world.
1977 – 1980 : Weir Westgarth Ltd., Glasgow
- Design Engineer and Commissioning Engineer: Worked on the design of large Multi-Stage Flash Desalination plants, and associated machinery and systems, for international clients, including on-site commissioning in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.